Contact Us
The original building which now houses the adminstration offices, the Headmaster's residence and the boarding house.
The original building which now houses the adminstration offices, the Headmaster's residence and the boarding house.

History

Medbury School was established by the Chennells family after purchasing “Ripsford”, a property of two hectares and a large family home, in 1923. Right from the beginning it was a family school, beginning with only nine boys cared for by Mr and Mrs Eric Chennells. By 1925 the roll had grown to nearly 50 boys and by the time the Chennells retired in 1955, there were 111 pupils. As the school grew, so did the development of the facilities, starting with the purchase of an adjoining property of one hectare in 1968, and major building and amenities developments in 1969, 1975, 1987, 1994, 2003 and 2016.

Medbury School has moved with the times but the ideals, standards and traditions which characterised its foundation, remain an integral part of its education.

Medbury Milestones

  • 1923 “Ripsford”, 109 Clyde Road was purchased by Mr and Mrs Eric Chennells and Medbury School opened on 9 February.
  • 1926 Present staffroom and former art room added as a dormitory and changing room.
  • 1935 Swimming pool was constructed.
  • 1955 Present library was built as an assembly hall with a boarders’ dormitory above.
  • 1968 The Henderson's property was purchased, and the house became the School dining room and kitchen facilities.
  • 1969 Main classroom block was constructed, with new facilities for boarders
  • 1973 Medbury celebrated 50 years.
  • 1975 Chennells Hall was opened.
  • 1979 Chennells House, built in 1955 on the Creyke Road corner, was purchased by the School.
  • 1981 New tennis courts were constructed.
  • 1987 New Junior School classrooms and facilities were opened.
  • 1994 The Teaching Centre was completed and opened
  • 1998 The 75th Jubilee was celebrated with several special functions throughout the year. The Chennells House was moved away and the corner of the field developed by the council in conjunction with the new traffic layout.
  • 2000 A large part of the original house was remodelled to provide new offices and administration facilities.
  • 2002 First stage of the development programme – three astro-turf tennis courts were completed.
  • 2003 The Medbury Centre, with a new hall and associated facilities, was completed.
  • 2004 The former Chennells Hall was converted into a new library.
  • 2013 The School celebrated its 90th year.
  • 2015 Extenive development work undertaken on the sports field - 'The Medbury Green'.
  • 2016 New Senior School classrooms and facilities were opened.

Click images below to enlarge:

Back to top